Auteur Sujet: Covered bridge ukuleles  (Lu 5801 fois)

Gerard

• Concert
    • Ukulélés GG
Covered bridge ukuleles
« le: 02 janvier 2018 à 08:30:27 »
Des luthiers jumeaux ...

Un ténor en Myrte ... y'a pas que l'acajou et le koa ...

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/05/06/covered-bridge-ukulele/

Un diapason concert sur un corps de ténor (photo jointe).

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?130857-Not-a-longneck-but-a-short-neck!

Ils assurent pas mal, les frangins Bullinger...

« Modifié: 02 janvier 2018 à 10:32:31 par Gerard »

Raphael

• Concert
Re : Covered bridge ukuleles
« Réponse #1 le: 02 janvier 2018 à 23:27:44 »
Effectivement, merci pour la découverte :)
Le tenor en myrte de l Oregon est superbe et Corey en fait une superbe démo.
Par contre le diapason concert sur un corp ténor... C est pour  un strum plus énergique ?
Meilleur qu'hier, moins bon que demain
RbeeUke sur insta

Gerard

• Concert
    • Ukulélés GG
« Réponse #2 le: 03 janvier 2018 à 13:04:39 »
Si tu suis le thread de UU, mieux encore : un corps de ténor PA, avec une table allégée en barrages,
avec un diapason de concert, une liaison manche / corps entre la 10é et 11é frette, le tout en low G ...  :o

Si Tonton Rémy passe par là,
ce serait pas mal qu'il pose ses réflexions autour de ce choix.

On en a "parlé", en email, et son analyse apportera un éclairage plus large que je n'ai pu le faire ...

Allo, TTR ?

Par contre le diapason concert sur un corps ténor... C est pour  un strum plus énergique ?

tonton Rémy

• Soprano
    • tontonremy.com
« Réponse #3 le: 03 janvier 2018 à 23:23:28 »
Oui on a un peu échangé à propos de cet "infra tenor" (si un concert avec un manche de tenor est un super concert, alors une caisse de tenor avec un manche de concert peut très bien être qualifié d'infra tenor) et très vite s'est posée la question de l'équilibre, visuel, sonore et ergonomique.
Des formes disproportionnées déplacent fatalement l'emplacement des sillets et pas forcément là où ça sonne le plus sur la table, Il faut compenser partout, profondeur de caisse, taille de la bouche, pour avoir un son qui se projette bien sans bouillie, d'ailleurs l'instrument est défini comme taillé pour le strum. Le poids de la tête devra contrebalancer le poids de la caisse pour avoir un centre de gravité vers le milieu du diapason, mais comme le talon n'est pas à la douzieme mais à la 10 e. frette c'est encore un coup à s'arracher les cheveux,  Mais la fantaisie permet des fois d'explorer des contrées inconnues, et de faire de belles découvertes, c'est tout ce que je souhaite à cet instrument hors norme.

Raphael

• Concert
« Réponse #4 le: 03 janvier 2018 à 23:38:25 »
Merci a tous les deux , ça rejoint ce que j avais pu comprendre via uu
Je reste sceptique sur l instrument mais j'aime la démarche expérimentale :)
Meilleur qu'hier, moins bon que demain
RbeeUke sur insta

Gerard

• Concert
    • Ukulélés GG
« Réponse #5 le: 07 janvier 2018 à 14:44:03 »
Le pourquoi et le comment ... par le "géniteur" ... la suite sur UU.

The purpose of the ukulele was to fit into an old Zero Halliburton aluminum body travel case(James Bond style)..which I've stored two of for the last ten years or so.The case has a center divider panel to separate ukuleles from everything else and has enough room foir a second soprano in the "ukulele" half.It gives me extra room in the other half for music books,a music stand,repair tools,water bottle and a lot of other assorted goodies I carry sometimes to local meets .One has wheels and an a retractable handle..the other is lighter weight and both are the same size inside so the center dividers will fit either case.
The ukulele is concert in scale(martin concert scale).The neck meets the body at the 9-1/2 fret.The body is 7-1/2" wide X11-1/2" long and 2-5/8" deep..with a koa top.The rest of the body and neck is of yellow narra wood that used to be a dining table made and signed in 1921.(I use a lot of vintage wood when I can).The tuners are some old Grover Champions friction ones I had laying around.The head had to be extremely small to fit inside the case,but it is still comfortable to play.The inside of the case is about 20-1/2" wide X 12-3/4 under the center sealing aluminum seam.
Strumming..works great..Rod strums this one where he should,between the end of the 12 fret fretboard and the soundhole.I play ukulele with Rod usually once or twice a week at local meets with very rare picking and a lot of strumming.He usually plays a soprano or concert,..never larger than that..so I know what he prefers,and and how he plays.
I'm building one for Uncle Rod..same size body pretty much with the joint at the 10th fret..about 6-1/2" from the nut,should keep the bridge/saddle a little more into the sweet spot;and the head will be longer for Grover geared tuners(unless he wants otherwise)..22-1/2" long overall.
Rod uses a fiberglass tenor case for most of his local transport;so the ukulele does rest inside over the normal storage built in area for picks and tuners(on a normal hardcase..his case should be sized about the same.The 7-1/2" width does work within the waist area with about 1" of clearance around the lower bout and 4" inches of storage above the head for tuners,rubber ducks,strum buttons, and other items he normally carries.

« Modifié: 08 janvier 2018 à 07:59:57 par Gerard »

Gerard

• Concert
    • Ukulélés GG
« Réponse #6 le: 31 janvier 2018 à 11:47:14 »
Ca continue sur UU ....

Sorry..I've been sick for quite a while..there is some real crud-cold-flu running around the Seattle area..hard to work in a cold shop so the ukulele took a while to complete..
Okay..Rod's pineapple is as close as possible to the other one without the shortening of the head.It has a Koa top with Yellow Narra(called amboyna in the more burl state) neck,back,and sides from a signed and metal stamped(roman numerals) 1921 dining table from the Phillipines.The neck is laminated 3/4"yellow narra with a couple vertical strips of the Spanish Mahogany fretboard material(since I can't find 8/4 stock of the Narra around here and I don't cut 15 degrees and reglue heads to necks),normal sized head with Grover geared tuners.The neck meets the body at the tenth fret...close to the other ukulele's.
The body is within 1/8" or so of the other ukulele's body dimensions.I've never made two alike and am more 'freeform' in my building of ukuleles.As stated above..Koa top and yellow narra for the rest with the Spanish Mahogany for fretboard and bridge..bone nut and saddle.."disappearing string" bridge style.I don't build anything with a wrap/tie style bridge..I've repaired and reglued too many of those.I'd rather put the pressure under the top than on a bridge's glued surface.
The neck and fretboard are thinned for width..something Rod seems to prefer,closer to a Martin's concert width.
The Strings are Aquila Lavas from the "6 string tenor" set..which are normal concert diameters(Their 6 and 8 tenor string sets have thinner diameter strings than their 4 string tenor sets..concert size).The volume does decrease with the change from a Low G to high G change.I'm going to pick up some more Aquila Nylgut tenors and concerts in the normal high G sets..see if we can increase the volume of Rod's with the high G on it.I'm going to try the tenor size and see how that plays(or tunes).Due to the larger(and deeper) body,I believe it resonates more towards the low G of a tenor.I'll have to check the tension with the heavier strings..Since mine is pretty much identical in size,I can try the strings on there.The low G set on mine of the same lava strings(using the low A as G of the 6 string lava set)..the volume is fine.I did notice the change in volume and mentioned it to him..but Rod is a "high G guy" when playing,so we'll figure something out.I might try some Worths..
The rubber ducks,strum buttons,and strum stickers..are things Rod carries to hand out to people and kids at the STRUM meets for public relations purposes..Why I figured he would use the tenor case.If someone here has a good idea on a good PINEAPPLE concert hard case,pass it along to Rod.I'll try and get a picture up with dimensions of the ukulele.Concert/tenor pineapple cases are really hard to fit unless you use the designated brand it was made for...

Em6

• Baryton
  • real men play soprano
    • La Petite Boutique
« Réponse #7 le: 31 janvier 2018 à 12:14:17 »
étonnant certes ! mais pourquoi ne pas aller plus loin ? avec une jonction 7ème case par exemple et une forme de caisse plus allongée et originale ! un autre instrument comme peut l'être un lap steel pour la guitare !
Bras dessus, bras dessous. Le uke c'est fou ;-)
ma chaine Youtube

Gerard

• Concert
    • Ukulélés GG
« Réponse #8 le: 31 janvier 2018 à 13:17:14 »
Rod a une formation de ukers à Seattle - le STRUM.

Seattle's Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians